Website hosting and publishing, comes one after the other, to someone that doesn’t know much about computer and the internet, publishing and hosting would surely sound like a pretty big job, but after reading this article you will understand that it is not as difficult as you might have thought before, because this article contains a very detailed information on what you should know before paying for your website hosting, without passing through any difficulties, all with little cost, I added that because you might have read bunch of article out there teaching you on how to host and publish your website for free
it sounds like a great opportunity but the fact it, this type of publishing and hosting method are not RELIABLE because who ever tell you that they will host your website for free, would have you return the favour in a much way than the service they will be providing for you, just by filling your website with irrelevant advert which might be out of taste for your visitor, so the first thing I will like to make you understand is that hosting your website for free, might not be a bright idea, remember that whatever worth doing is worth doing well, so when ever you’re thinking about hosting your website, always remember that it is going to incur some little charges, there are different and a lot of hosting company out there, and the service they provide differs from each other, here I shall be talking about important things to take note before paying for your hosting plan.
1. Bandwidth: This is the amount of traffic that is allowed to occur between your website and the internet, this is a very important factor to consider when hosting your website, because the higher the number of your targeted visitors the higher your bandwidth should be, I would use the road and the car to explain in the simplest method, when I said bandwidth replace it with ROADS and wherever you find traffic replace it with CARS, when you have fours lanes on a road, it means only fours cars can pass on the road at the same time? Now remember that there must be a road before you can use your car, and the higher the rate at which people plies the road, the shorter it’s life time, this simply means that the higher the number of visitor you have the lower your bandwidth becomes, therefore you must ask yourself what type of website you want to host and calculate the average number of targeted visitors you would be having before placing your hosting order. Bandwidths are measured in GB and the range is between 1 GB to Unlimited! Therefore different prices apply to what you want. But for a standard website I would advice you not to go for something less than 20GB
2. Disk space: This simple means the size of documents, images, videos, files and applications you are allowed to have on your website, just relate it to your personal home computer, if you have 20Gb disk space on your computer, you can’t store documents more than that on your computer, the same rule applies to your Website Disk Space, therefore before your decide which the amount of disk space you will be needing for your website, first check out the size of your website. Disk space ranges between 5GB to Unlimited!
3. Domain Registration: This registration depends on what type of company and domain you want, all .com, .org., .net .tv., .info domains are always free to register, but when it comes to domains like .org.ng, .com.us, .org.uk .org.de and others, you will be required to pay a certain amount of money, this money varies from one hosting company to another.
4. Setup Fee: Setting up fee is always free! Don’t get scammed please!
5. Price per annum: Different price goes with different specifications, but the least legitimate hosting price you should look forward to must not be less than #2500 equivalent to 17 US dollars.
6. Email features: You must be able to have as much as email account as your want and they must provide you with an auto responder, a complied mailing list, email filters, email forwarding, among others
7. Domains: Your hosting company must give you the chance to have as much sub domains and Parked Domains, as you want, depending on the size of your disk space
8. Software support: The platform on which your website is hosted must support all the common software, so that you would be able to upload new software the you will need for your website. Some common software are The CGI-BIN, Perl, PHP w/Zend Optimizer, Imagemaick w/GD, FrontPage Extension, therefore your hosting platform must support at least all the software listed above.
9. Database: Split the word to their simplest form DATA, BASE right? This simply means where your website visitors and member details are been stored, your hosting company must be ready to provide a secure and reliable database, because you wont want some hackers to send emails to your members in your name therefore secured database is required, there are many software available for that but the most common ones are the MySQL and phpMyAdmin, for a standard website you will be needing five MySQL script. MySQL scripts ranges from 5 to unlimited
10. Web statistics: When you’ve finished hosting your website, you would surely want to know the amount of visitors you’re having per day, where they are coming from and the number of time they are spending on your website, therefore a good hosting company must be ready to provide a real time web statistics for your website.
11. Multimedia: For every attractive website, the root of the beauty is it’s media section, your host company must be ready to provide a proper and up to date media application for your website, applications like real audio or video player, window media, Shockwave or flash player, there are a lot of applications out there, so the choice is your, my only advice is before you go for any application consider the size of your web disk space.
12. Website control: You as a website owner must be in full control of your website, you wont want some strange people to run it for you, therefore it is highly important to take note of the access your web hosting company is giving you. This is made up of the FTP accounts, The control panel access is also very important it is just like your website virtual office because this is where you will have a chance to work as an administrator, where you would be able to add which member will be a moderator and the likes, I will be publishing something about the Use of control Panel very soon, your web file manager is also another important thing to take note, a good hosting company must give you access to your file manager
13. Installed and pre-installed scripts: There are basically two pre installed scripts for a standard website, no matter what type of bandwidth you will be subscribing to, your hosting company must give you the pre-installed scripts of Fantastico Deluxe and CGI-center.
14. Extra options: this includes Polls and survey, Auto site builder, Mailing List, Hosting Billing, Guest book, Discussion Board, Customer Support and many mores.
15. Host technical support.: This is a very important thing to take note before you pay for your hosting, a host company must be RELIABLE, therefore the must be ready to give you a 24 hours technical support, you would not want to pay for a host company that does not reply to emails or that doesn’t receive phone calls from their customers.
Never pay through western union or money transfer, if any company as you to pay through this method, it means they are not real, and please don’t have anything to do with them.